Wednesday 1 July 2020

Years 1 & 2 - Thursday 2nd July

Hello :) 

We hope you are having a great week and that the year 1's who have been to school this week had lots of fun! Today we need to finish our collages and write an evaluation of our work. Writing a evaluation helps us to reflect on what went well, what we enjoyed, any challenges we faced and what we would do differently next time. 

To finish the collage we need to add detail to the setting. To make the under the ocean setting look realistic we had to think what we would likely find under the sea and what colours we think they would be. On my collage I added the sea, sand, seaweed and different types of coral to complete my setting. Below are pictures with a list of materials I used to give you some ideas for your own masterpieces. 

Fun fact: Although we add lots of colour to make our collages look more engaging and when we watch films such as Finding Nemo, there are lots of bright colours at the bottom of the ocean in the abyss and trenches this is not actually what is all look like. The deeper you go in the ocean the less sunlight can the bottom of the ocean, therefore it becomes  very dark and murky and there are not lots of bright colours.



Challenge: Can you research 3 creatures you may find in the abyss and trench zones of the ocean. You will be shocked to see how many different creatures live in the depths of the ocean! Below is one I researched which I had not heard of.

                                                                      Vampire Squid

"Though it resembles both, the vampire squid is neither a squid nor an octopus. It is a unique animal that has been separated by scientists into its own group. Like many of its relatives, the vampire squid has eight arms and two tentacles. It does not suck or drink blood, and instead gets its common name from its dark color and the skin that connects the arms, resembling a cape. This species lives in the nearly completely dark waters of the ocean"


Completing the setting:



Sand: I wanted to use lots of different materials to add a variety of texture to my collage. I decided to use brown paper, yellow tissue paper and sponge to create the sand. On reflection I would also liked to have added brown sugar as I think it resembles sand very well.





Coral: I used left over silver wallpaper to create my coral as I think it looks like real rocks and it has a rough texture.




Seaweed: To create seaweed, I shredded green tissue paper and layered it so it would create a moving effect in the ocean. When I have been to the beach and have found seaweed it us usually in big piles which is what I wanted to create on my collage. Luckily I found some seaweed stickers in my craft box which I decided to add to my collage. I used the colour green as when researching seaweed I saw lots of dark green colours. 



Ocean: To complete the final part of my collage I collected lots of different blue materials to create the water. I decided to use a cut up blue and white cloth as I think it looks like the waves in the ocean. I used blue tissue paper as it is slightly transparent like water. I also cut up blue paper to add a different texture to the water. 

And my under the sea collage is complete! We hope you have enjoyed creating your collages! 


Now for the evaluation... 




Have a lovely day, 

The KS1 Team :)





No comments:

Post a Comment