Wednesday 3 June 2020

Years 1 & 2 - Thursday 4th June

Hello, 

I hope you are all having a lovely week! Before I get started on today's blog, I know how much the children in Emerald class and others enjoyed me sharing my pregnancy and scan photos with them, therefore I thought they would like to see my recent scan photo. I was lucky enough to be able to get a 4D scan and to get a sneak preview of what she is going to look like! So here is a picture of my 'chubby cheeks' baby girl :) 




Now for today's blog...

This half term in Art we would have been exploring a range of textile materials to make collage artwork and learning sewing techniques to make our own fish. Although the activities will be slightly different, the focus for this half term will still be exploring different materials to help us create fantastic fish artwork. From looking at the super whale drawings lots of the children completed, I know we will be getting some super artwork over the coming weeks.

To introduce the fish topic in Art, a great book to read is The Rainbow Fish and one of my favourite films to watch Finding Nemo. This will give the children lots of opportunities to spot different fish and see if they can identify any.





The first activity is to research a variety of fish to see what they look like. I am going to give a list of fish to research and your child can attempt to draw and label each fish. As this is the first activity, there is no right or wrong way to draw the fish and I would just like the children to have a go. As the weeks progress the children will learn lots of drawing techniques for how to create the perfect fish. 


  1. Clown fish 
  2. Blue Tang
  3. Discus
  4. Angelfish
  5. Royal Gramma 

Challenge task - Write 1 interesting fact about each fish.

Key questions: 

How are the fish similar?
What makes them different?
What are the challenges when drawing a fish? 
Is it easier to copy a picture or draw a fish from your imagination? 

Once your child has created their reference bank of fish, they will find it very useful to refer back to when completing future tasks. Please remember we love to see how the children get on with the activities we set and if they find them enjoyable. I would love to see some fish drawings sent to our KS1 email. 

Have a lovely day

Miss Langley :) 






















No comments:

Post a Comment