Sunday 28 June 2020

Year 1 & 2 - Monday 29th June

Welcome back to this week's blog - I hope you had a lovely weekend.

We would very much like to hear from you all this week to let us know how you are doing. Good news, bad news, questions, worries, celebrations and successes, we don't mind what you tell us but we would really love to hear from you.

To give you a bit of a push, I need your child's help with something. Mrs Jude is always telling me off as I'm afraid I always skip breakfast. I know - this is terrible, most important meal of the day and all that. Could you ask your child to email me their suggestion for their favourite breakfast so that I never skip it again? I will post a picture of me eating the most interesting, crazy and tempting suggestion. Get creative and let me know - and tell us how you are doing too!


One last thing - I have put on our class page all the resources for Monday-Wednesday that you might need. If you want to forward plan your week, this might help a bit!

English - Persuasive Writing

This week we will be looking at the genre of persuasive writing. This poster should help you identify the key features of this form of writing:



So we need a context for our writing. We will use the seaside as our vehicle for this. Our final goal will be to create a poster and a short piece of writing to encourage people to visit Southend once lockdown is over. Today we need to research the different things visitors could do when they visit. Share this website of 15 places to visit in and near Southend:


Today's job is to reduce this list down to 4 best things to visit/do in Southend. This is up to your child but they need to choose their favourite things so they can best persuade others to visit. Make a list of your 4 chosen places and maybe research these to identify what makes them so fantastic.

Maths - Multiplication

This week we will be re-visiting the operation of multiplication. Have a look at this blog to refresh your memories for the strategies we used:


Today we can use the arrays method to solve multiplication calculations.

Year 1 - have a look at these fruit and vegetable arrays:










Choose one and see if you can represent it as a multiplication calculation.

For example, look at the peppers picture above. First, count how many we have in the top row? 7

Now how many rows of 7 do we have? 2

We have seven two times. 7 x 2 =

Now to find the answer, we count ALL the peppers: 7 x 2 = 14.

Have a go at some of your own - copies of these are on our class page if you want a physical copy to cut out but equally you could just use the images here.

Year 2 - If you are confident on the above, try to create your own arrays to solve multiplication calculations generated through Top Marks:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/daily10

From the 3 tabs at the top choose Level 2; Multiplication; Then choose which times table you wish to practice. Remember: 2x, 5x & 10x are end of Year 2 expectations but feel free to experiment!




I wanted a challenge, so I tried the 6x table. I got this calculation:




I made this array:




Once I counted all the dots up, I found the answer 24! Hope you have just as much fun as me!
We miss you all!
KS1 Team